Clint Sharp wrote:
> Pete Prodoehl wrote:

>>What a question! The incentive for truly creative people to create
>>things is that they can't *not* create things!
>>
>>I create things because I enjoy creating things. It connects me with
>>others. I get a good sense of satisfaction from the things I create. I
>>can attempt to have control over the creation process. It keeps me sane.
>>
>>Why do I write, draw, record audio, and shoot video? The incentive is
>>not the almighty dollar, that's for sure... As cliché as the "I do it
>>for myself" thing might sound, it's pretty much true.
>>
>>(Also, I think you may be confusing "good" with "popular")
>>
>>Pete
>>
>>--
>>http://tinkernet.org/
>>videoblog for the future...
>>

> Good, then in a world without copyright, what I'll do is I'll just watch
> for what you're creating and as soon as I see something I like, I'll
> call it my own and commercialize it.  Work for hire is bad enough, a
> world without copyright is anarchy, and the people who would be getting
> screwed the most would be the ones creating works.  What you're missing
> is that copyright is necessary to give people the incentive to keep
> creating, because I guarantee the first time I took what you did and
> made a fortune on it that was rightfully yours, your motivation to be
> creative would certainly be impaired.  Ask some people who have had
> famous works taken away from them under work for hire clauses and see
> how they feel about trying to make a living as a creative person.
>
> That's not to say copyright is a perfect system.  There are many issues
> with it right now that need to be resolved so that the public's
> freedom's are protected.  It's certainly better than the alternative though.

Clint, I never said I was against copyright. Isn't the idea of copyright
to provide rights to the person/organization that creates something?

What I want is *control* over my rights. Currently I believe a Creative
Commons license provides this. (I hope that's true.)

Also, here is the question I responded to (which was not included in
your response.)

Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

> What's the  incentive for creating works if you can't make money the
one time in your life you create something really good?

My main point was that, I don't it down and think about how I'm going to
make money before I create something, that is not my primary motivation,
and I hope it never is. BTW, I think I do make a living as a creative
person, but maybe our definitions of "creative" differ quite a bit.

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/
videoblog for the future...