There's hotspots everywhere, with the potential to provide a Pulitzer
for the person who captures the story as we have never seen it before. I
remember getting an e-mail from a friend in Moscow in 1991 during the
attempted coup. His on-the-spot observations were chilling, and
transmitted immediately to his network of contacts. The blogs from Iraq,
both from residents and from soldiers, have given us unmediated (by MSM
anyway) comment on what people are observing and feeling there.

In a flurry of downloads when I was first using FireANT, there was a
clip from a protest in NY showing mounted police pushing people back.

I expect we'll see some video from Gaza within the next few days as that
situation unfolds. There are the big stories that will be told, but more
compelling are the stories from the local vloggers who will grab
whatever device they have, be it video phone or camcorder, and archive
what is going on in front of them.

I don't mind gushing like Juan to say that this medium is awesomely
powerful and it's exciting to be on the front lines. The Camp Casey
story is important inherently, but also important because videography
makes it so. How long before the mainstream media realize they need a
network of vloggers just as they mpw need a network of stringers to
report stories for them? And pay for it.

--
Beth Agnew, Professor of Mirth
laughpractice.blogspot.com