This is my neck of the woods - I have a $80 DXG Model 202V Digital
Video Camera. This is an early .avi version but it has been working
great for me. It is a still camera, voice recorder and .avi camcorder
that runs on AA's and SD card. I use rechargeable batteries and get
decent life from them.

I do understand and accept the limitations of these type of
camera/camcorders. They may say the fps is 15-30 fps but mine is
actually about 9 or 10 fps. Sometimes it cuts out after 1:30 of
non-use. And if you have big fingers/hands it might be a bother. Mines
has a touchpad on/off switch that announces when I turn it on. Hard to
get candids.

My DXG is made of sturdy stuff, I've been banging it around my bag it
is still going after three months. http://www.dxgtech.com/

They do have new mp4 cameras http://www.dxgtech.co
m/product_jpg/DVC406.jpg

For indoor use? Fuggetabout. These babies need plenty of light. You
are not going to be happy unless you are going for "the look" of
little or no light. And forget about zoom. The macro mode works really
well but there is no zoom other than your feet.

Before I bought this camera I checked at http://www.epinions.com and
was not happy with some of the reviews for Aiptek and Mustek. They go
flaky soon after purchase. I also checked Amazon

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000
1GT30Q/qid=1124753910/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4460
400-9673518?v=glance&s=photo&n=507846>
for other feelings about Aiptek

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000
0T8BB6/qid=1124753910/sr=8-10/ref=pd_bbs_10/104-44
60400-9673518?v=glance&s=photo&n=507846>
for a sample of Mustek reviews.

Know what you are willing to trade off but go for it

Gena
http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com