Ok, here's the deal.  You can set up a sequence preset that matches
your source video so that you can edit without rendering.  That
sequence preset can be saved and even set as default if you want so
that every time you make a new sequence it's this custom thing you
set up.  There are a couple of problems.  As Ryanne mentioned, it has
to be exact - fps, codec, codec quality, pixel aspect ratio, etc etc.
or you'll have to render.  Another problem that we've seen, at least
with mpeg4 video, is crazy and annoying playback problems, ie video
won't update but sound plays, random green blocks, and more.  It
seems to just be a display problem but it makes editing a pain in the
ass.  As far as I know, making a sequence preset works in all
versions of FCP as long as it supports the codec you're working with.

So the Compressor droplet:
If you open up Compressor (I've tested this on version 1 & 2) and
click the presets button you can create a QuickTime preset that
matches the default DV sequence preset in FCP.  Once you've created
that, there is a button to click that will turn it into a
"droplet" (a mini application) that you can save wherever you'd
like.  Then you can take your non-DV clips and just drop a whole
bunch of them on the droplet and it will launch the Batch Monitor and
transcode everything to DV.  Then you can import those files and edit
in FCP without rendering.  When you start with small mpeg 4 clips,
convert to DV, edit, recompress to mpeg4 again (at a decent bit rate
- 700kbits/sec +) you will notice very little difference from the
original clips.
So here are the settings:

Encoder Tab:
File Format: QuickTime Movie

Video Settings:
Compression Type: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC
Frame Rate: 29.97
Key Frames: All
Compressor Quality: Medium
Scan Mode: Interlaced
Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Data Rate: Automatic

Sound Settings:
Format: Linear PCM
Channels: Stereo (L R)
Rate 48.000 kHz
Sample Rate Converter Settings: Quality: Normal
Linear PCM Settings: Sample Size: 16 bits

Streaming: None

Geometry Tab:
Frame Size: 720 X 480
Pixel Aspect: NTSC CCIR 601/DV
Constrain to display aspect: None

That's all there is to it! :)  Of course this will be in the book
with lots of pretty screen shots.

BTW, I've tested this with system 10.3, QT 6, FCP 4 & 4.5, Compressor 1
System 10.4, QT 7, FCP 4.5, Compressor 1
System 10.4, QT 7, FCP 5, Compressor 2
--
Verdi
http://michaelverdi.com