Yes this is referring to metadata saved within quicktime movie files,
ither within the properties->annotations section of QT, or via any
other software that can deal with quicktime metadata.

It does not refer to metadata that is then edited/added within iTunes
itself. Although I havent checked, I am assuming that such metadata is
stored by itunes database, it doesnt change the metadata actually
stored inside the relevant quicktime file.

ISMA is a standards thing, read more about it here:

<URL>http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/QT6WhatsNew/Chap1/chapter_1_section_9.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40000937-143880-TPXREF141</URL>

and

http://www.isma.tv/

Basically its designed to enable device compatibility. Specs like
mpeg4 include a lot of range and choice with all sorts of factors,
such as maximum resolutions and bitrate. Different standards bodies or
companies appear and create different 'profiles', with the aim of
being able to certify a range of devices that will be able to playback
such content.

Theres lots of examples other than ISMA. For example 3GP is a sort of
mpeg4 but with limited bitrate and resolution, to make it suitable for
use on mobile phones. And people like Nero (with their Nero Digital
and Nero Digital AVC) and Divx have their own mpeg4-type standards
certification program.

eg If you have DVD player that is certified to play Nero Digital
Standard Prfile movies, it can play mpeg4 files up to a certain
resolution etc, whatever Nero decided for the Standard Profile. Now
with H264, Nero call it Nero Digital AVC and players that can handle
such things will be certified as such. Meanwhile Nero make software
which lets the user simply pick which profile to use for movie encoding.

This is not very different from all the different presets weve gotten
in different encoding software for years, it just reaches out slightly
further by trying to be a standard taht people use rather than just
whatever Microsoft/Apple/whoever decided was a good preset.

Bottom line is that if you select ISMA, you will be keeping to certain
standards and reducing the number of available options for encoding
settings (eg if I recall, ISMA doesnt allow H264 so it becomes greyed
out). But Im not sure what devices exist that can play ISMA-compliant
files only.

For me I ignore the different choices in standards for now, until more
hardware exists and we can see if sanity prevails, of if the standards
suffer by their being so many different standards/certification
programs. For now I mostly just worry about the average computer users
ability to playback the video files, and ISMA standdards dont seem
that relevant.

As for CIF, I found this explanation on the net, though I think that
these days it might sometimes just be used by some people to refer to
resolution of the video:

CIF - Common Intermediate Format - a set of standard video formats
used in videoconferencing, defined by their resolution. The original
CIF is also known as Full CIF (FCIF).

    QCIF - Quarter CIF (resolution 176x144)
    SQCIF - Sub quarter CIF (resolution 128x96)
    4CIF - 4 x CIF (resolution 704x576)
    16CIF - 16 x CIF (resolution 1408x1152

Cheers

Steve of Elbows