When I've had troubles like this (and I've had drives go down several
times) I immediately get in my car and drive to a computer service
store. I'm a total do-it-yourself-er, I built my own external drive,
install memory and other cards in computers no problem, install all my
own software, troubleshoot my computer and labs-worth of others... but
when it comes to trying to recover data off of a drive that's failing
-- I go straight to the pros. They'll have a lot more in the way of the
latest software and hardware tools to help you. And they can tell you,
before they even charge you at all, what they think is wrong and how
much they'll charge to "fix it" (if it's fixable) or recover data if
that's all they can do. If you start poking around too much without
knowing what's going on, you may close the tiny window of opportunity
to recover the data that's left.

Where are you? Maybe someone on this list can recommend a shop. I know
a good place in Philadelphia and in San Antonio.

jen

On Aug 25, 2005, at 2:06 PM, skullcrew webmaster wrote:

> I have a small/big problem...
>
> For some reason the mac and the pc both think my firewire drive is
> empty. Here is the scoop...I have been using it for about 5 months
> now and storing all my raw video footage on it. There is about 160GB
> worth of data on there. Last night it fell off a 2 ft end  table it
> was on. Now it acts like there is nothing on the drive and I need to
> format it. I have tried to access it on a mac and a pc.
>
> My question is there any software that people know of that I could
> use to recover the data off the drive? After I get the data I want to
> format it and get another back up to mirror the data.
>
> Wow...I hope I am not screwed.
>

> any help would be appreciated...
>
> thanks...
>
> nick

 low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help
bridge the Digital Divide!</a>.</font>