Spams liek most other terms, it suffers from definition leakage at he
perimeters.

I dont think anybody is comparing you to spammers that bulk-email
millions of people with dodgy adverts.

But it seems from the history of this list so far, that there are a
few other factors which can cause people to use the 'spam'label in a
bit of a broader sense. Factors that increase this risk seem to
include; Frequency of posts, percentage of time that content is about
self, urgency of requests to check own stuff out, length of signature
compared to length of post.

Its all very grey, so I deadly hope people can manage not to take
offense if they are ever called a spammer. People can sometimes use
the term in afectionate, half-joking ways, or if they personally find
the style of a particular persons posts to be something thats just a
bit too much for their tastes.

The worst possible outcome of being called a spammer is if it causes a
strog reaction and you stop posting completely, or spend too much time
worrying about how much its ok to post, and stuff like that.

Its hard, I dind it much the same as the phenomenon of life in general
where you want someone to cool it down just a tiny bit, but are unsure
how to say it in a way thats productive not negative and destructive.

Of course it wasnt me that called you a spammer and Im really not in a
position to be telling anybody how it is with this issue, these are
just my personal thoughts.

Its ort of related to the other ocassionally occuring phenomenon such
as people getting annoyed with a subject and requesting the list stop
talking about it. Inevitable parts of email lists, potentially easy to
deal with productively but also always the risk that any once instance
will go wrong and cause human emotional suffering.

Other way to put it: being labelled spam when you arent conciously
spamming is probably more painful than receiving spam.

Steve of Elbows