> 1) in regards to windows movie maker if one wants a decent quality the
> compression ends up 1MB per minute which is  not good enough as
> talks/lectures  tend to be around 45 minutes

Reasonable people differ on what qualifies as decent. :) About the only way
to reduce the file size further for dial up users is to decrease the
resolution. Drop to 160x120 and you dramatically decrease the file size. The
other option might be to cut the frame rate to 15fps, which will make motion
choppy but does decrease file size. You might be able to save a few
megabytes by using a MPEG-4 codec (DivX/XviD) after exporting from Windows
Movie Maker.

> one can safe on the level of a dial up but there the webcam quality is
> pretty bad
>
> 2) regarding powerpoint  yes there are a few powerpoint compressiontools
> but you still have to pay I look for a totally free one

I don't know of any. I don't think there are any because the person willing
to spend $200-400 for a version of Office with PowerPoint probably isn't
going to balk at $30 for some compression.

> ZIPs by now are increasingly problematic as many e-mail recipients filter
> them out. Like  my university sees every zip file as a virus threat and
> they don't come to my inbox.

Hosting the files and linking to a .zip is almost never filtered by email.

> As I work with many in developing countries the ones I deal with have a
> computer but they don't have money to buy all kind of software.
> and I often have to do multi  outputs as sometimes I have blind people in
> the audience sometimes deaf people (that why I have the powerpoint and use
> the audio to describe what is on the powerpoint).   Is open office better
> sizewise ?

Open Office and virtually every other office product will result in even
more bloat. Apple's Keynote is worse than PowerPoint in this regard, if
that's possible.

Couldn't you do video as one output for blind and deaf people and include
subtitling (and/or use an overlay of text) to avoid needing many formats?
Maybe I'm not looking at the issue correctly, but if a blind person clicks
on a video file, they still hear the audio track and a deaf person would get
the visual experience with subtitles.

> Not all of them have  fast internet access so webcam is often not an
> option. But in general I found MSN messenger 7.0 work very nicely to give
> presentations  but for the webcam fast internet access is needed.

You keep referring to a Webcam here and I'm not sure I'm following that part
of it. On one hand you are talking about recording video and outputting
something from Windows Movie Maker. Here you mention using a Webcam for (I
assume) live video streaming? Is this a separate project or are the two
related and I'm just not getting it? :)

Jake Ludington

http://www.mediablab.com
http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com