that's incorrect (it may be true for you, but not throughout the major
California metro areas and certainly not in the rural areas)

it goes at least as high as $79.95 for home DSL in some (non-rural)
areas in CA
there are still lots of places in California where there is still no DSL
service (I'm talking citites here, not rural)
there are even more places in California where you can't get DSL anymore
(gone bye bye)
some DSL providers are great, many are not

the house i just moved into had a DSL line and modem working when we
purchased
when I went to order the service, PacBell said that they were no longer
servicing that area (it was $39/month)
they said that more people were using DSL now and so that the distances
they could cover were shrinking
they said that there were no plans to address this

luckily there were alternatives:

cable: $39/mo (plus another $16 because you NEED that high speed option
- of course this is Adelphia - in chapter 11 - you can guess what kind
of service you get)

wireless DSL: $79/month (must buy equipment too - great local service,
but slow speeds)

a real PITA, but better than a telephone modem

Kunga wrote:

>Where are you? DSL in California is $14.95 a month. Have you checked
>prices for broadband lately? They have plunged a lot in the past 3
>months.

http://apperceptions.org
http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
http://spinflow.org