Good to know. I should have figured they would play games with each
market. But my point is that if she can get that rate for 6 months it
is highly likely she will be able to renew at the same low price for
the another 6 months. They do not really jack up the price at the end
of a promotional price period. They simply offer you another contract
for the same low price. You may have to phone and request it before
your contract expires. Don't just let it expire without interaction
with customer service. In that case they will jack up the price. But
if you ASK for a low price renewal, my experience is, they will give
it to you.

Perfect example is in April they sent out an offer for DSL Pro for
$29.95 a month. I was in the middle of a $27.95 for base DSL
"contract". I phoned and they gave me the Pro for $29.95 right away -
forget the contract. Then about a month or two later they started
sending out promotional literature offering DSLPro for $25/month.
First time I phoned to ask for the price reduction I was told it was
only for new customers and only online. When I tried to order it
online the web browser told me DSL wasn't available in my area. This
was while I was using DSL Pro to get lower priced DSL Pro. So I
phoned again after continuing to receive promotional literature about
the lower price and said "I don't think it's fair for you to be
hitting me with all this promotional literature for the lower price
and not giving it to me because I took you up on your earlier offer
for $30 a month b4 the price change. Rep left the phone to talk to
super and came back with agreement to give me the lower price.

Moral of the story is you can negotiate lower prices if you persevere
and don't take no for an answer from the first customer rep. Ask for
a supervisor. If they say no, call again another time and talk to a
different supervisor. Rephrase your point of view to convince them to
give you the lower price. Be charming not hostile.
--
Taylor Barcroft
New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist