There is a five part series of articles on copyright at DV-info net (I'll pull the link out and paste it below) which is really frightening.  If you're filming in a bar and intrusive music is playing in the background (music you don't want), you can't use your footage unless you get a release or purchase rights to that music.

All this paperwork is enough to drive any sane person mad.  The Current TV release form asks people to verify the identity of people they interview, getting driver's license numbers, etc.  Now, that is really going a bit far.

Reading the articles this link will lead you to is a really frightening experience.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 1:36 AM
Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Various types of permission forms

On 9/4/05, Randolfe Wicker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The nice thing about vlogging is you get to bypass all of this.

Randolfe, exactly what makes you say so? I mean, it's not like you can claim you're not "publishing" the footage. Just because it's not for profit doesn't mean all those sites and persons being interviewed have given permission to post it to the Internet-- or even to shoot the footage in the first place.

I'm just trying to figure out what makes you think "it's okay if it's for a vlog"? Is that like "it's okay if I use this music only in my website"? Or "it's okay for me to download this feature film with bittorrent-- I'm only watching it at home."

--Stephanie

--
Stephanie Bryant
[EMAIL PROTECTED]