I work with many, for the lack of a better term, 'normal' English
people. Many of them have been on the net for 5 or 6 years, but few
have ever connected to any of the sites, communities, cultures and
information streams that I do. Age range about 25-55 so not quite part
of the latest digital generation growing up on this stuff.

Their behaviour on the internet contrasts hugely with the people I
meet on the net who are more submerged in net-culture (for lack of a
better term). Its a huge gap that I cannot overstate, ok maybe I could
overstate it. I believe a primary factors include:

Information overload. Im an info junkie and by being exposed to the
net early, when it was still academic mostly, and by being a nerd, I
obviously have a head start. I know how to filter out all the crap
that bombards people when they go to many sites. I forget its even
there, zoom in on what I need. But lots of peoples minds get blown. At
least theres been some progress on that front, I like the 'clean'
internet wheich is emerging with nicer standards, better sight design,
better search etc tools.

And more importantly, is where people get to hear about stuff. How do
they find out you exist? This is where mainstream emdia stil has an edge.

When I look at the Apple Podcast top 100, it seems to fit with this
concept. Im looking at it and its dominated by existing media, I
assume because millions of people have already heard of these people,
they know what to expect, theres an existing audience to tap into.
Still I see so many UK shows there that Im starting to think that
maybe Apple have different listings for different regions? Can someone
from the US tell me what the top 5 are in 'todays top podcasts' iTunes
Podcast Directory listing?

Anyway I dont know anybody at work who knows what a blog is, or a
podcast. None of them have ipods, a few are starting to get phones
that can play mp3s. They understand when I say video on the internet,
many of them have watched video clips on websites, the usual 'funny'
clips that have been popular for years.  Quite a few of them listen to
live streaming radio, but again they are listening to existing UK
local commercial radio or the BBC.

It must be natural, and to do with familiarity. Videoblogging or
whatever you want to call it, has both unfamilair technology and
unfamiliar content. I therefore have a hunch that familiar content
will bring people to the dance, along with maturing (more invisible)
technology.

A slow process of barriers disappearing and making all of this
accessible to a wider audience. Some of these things are beyond our
control, can do a lot to eliminate others. Big media companies and
hardware companies cn do stuff too, how much will they mutate the form
in the process?

Ive been surprised a bit that various press stories about specific
videobloggers havent spiked peoples ratings more than it seems they
actually have.

If I were a betting man, Im not sure Id bet on the word blog. Video
seems like a sfer bet, though I dont know if it will be abreviated or
not, or what it will be attached to. internet/net/IP TV could usurp it
I suppose. Movie probably wont because it has connotations of a
feature length movie. So many contradictions, as we have quicktime
movies and hence .mov.  Still the media coverage so far has adopted
the videoblog label. But its possible the videblog label could be
narrowed and end up referring to the sorts of short personal
videoblogs that have been a big part of th 'first wave'. Will 'show'
type video end up with a different name? After all many online video
shows existed before videoblogging terminology and technology came along.

Im off to waste some time on the trademark database seeing if theres
any new stuff going down on that front.

Steve of Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sullivan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> when talking to your potential audience etc who may not be in the
know of
> the geekery, why not just call it Internet TV and Internet Radio?
And you