>From everything I've heard and read, Gena is exactly right: "if you
can accept the limitations".

>From my intense investigations, the thing that sets the mini-cams
(also called "hybrids") apart from each other are:

File format (MP4, AVI, MJPEG--maybe this is in the AVI wrapper, not
sure)
Card type (SD or CF)
Battery (Rechargable Li-Ion, AA, AAA)
FPS at highest resolution (some do only 10-15fps at 640x480)
USB or not
Video Out or not

What I did was decide on memory card and power and connection, SD
and AA and USB, then look at each product page (aiptek and mustek)
and then go find the camera. The one I chose was supposedly
available at CompUSA and Office Depot, but my local stores didn't
stock it. So I ordered from Amazon.

My reading indicates they can only accept 512MB cards maximum.
Something about the ability to address the memory higher than that.

I just ordered one for testing for my geographically-spread family
use (Ages 8-68, mostly computer averse). Will also get a $25 bicycle
mount eventually to try it as a "okay if ruined by bugs or weather"
video cam. My goal is for family members to be able to "post" their
unedited video to a common blog or file system for viewing by
everyone else. My thought is that the easier this is, the more
likely it will be done. Shoot; Connect; Transfer. The native video,
I'm hoping, is easily viewable on each member's computer.

For compatibility in my current setup, I am getting AA battery and
SD card and USB. I hope the AA batteries will last much longer than
the AAA versions (one hybrid camera is reported to work for 6 hours
on one set of AA batteries, though I'm not getting that specific
one). I expect to be able to use it at 320x240 which should be fine
for most things. My biggest fear is indoor use, as indicated by
Gena, but I should know in a week or two, mine (Aiptek DV4500) is
coming via UPS as we speak (type).

Expect to pay between US$80-US$150 for these mini "hybrid" cams.
There are cheaper, but I haven't looked into the US$20-US$60 range
based on my *assumption* that they would be even worse (and I'm not
sure of their features).

And at the higher end (above my price range) are the Panasonic Snap
(approx US$200-US$250), Sanyo/Fisher Xacti C3/C4/C5 (US$400-$600),
JVC Everio (US$700-US$800 includes 4G microdrive).

I asked this exact question a few weeks ago. I hope you can benefit
from my research.

Greg Smith

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Gena" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> There is a slow upsweep in the quality of the memory card
camcorders.
> There are limitations. Major players like Sony, Panasonic and a few
> others will make the leap to create small but viable mmc's, with at
> least 10x zoom.
>
> If you can accept the limitations these camcorders have then your
are
> good to go. As an owner of one it is important to understand what
you
> be able to do and not do.
>
> Epinions has a few reviews on mcc's
> http://www.epinions.com/Camcorders--reviews--flash_memory
>
> Amazon has some feeback on a few models. I just tend to follow the
links:

> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002F8T42/104-3636739-7340766?
v=glance&n=502394&%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

> I am saving up for my step up DV cam. I love my mcc but it can't
zoom,
> the sound, unless the source audio is really loud, the tiny mic
picks
> up the sound of the camcorder working. And you can just about
forget
> shooting indoors with average light.
>
> I now want better quality camcorder that is affordable and the
ability
> to port to other sources. This mcc is only for web video. But I
have
> to tell you, I'm having a lot of fun with mine. I'm recording every
> chance I get. If you got a spare $150 - $200 do your homework
before
> you buy but I'd say go for it.
>
> Gena
> http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com
> **************************
> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Pete Prodoehl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > I've been using an old analog video camera for my videobloggging
(which
> > is a bit time consuming when it comes to doing the analog to
digital
> > conversion) and I've been considering getting a cheap dv cam,
one of
> the
> > under $90 models I've seen from Vivitar, Mustek, or Aiptek.
> >
> > I know these are just above being a toy to some people, but I
can't
> > afford a nice dv cam right now, and from what I can tell, they
> typically
> > use SD cards, save in MPEG4, and give "ok" (not good) results.
I'm not