Chris Baudry wrote:

> I am interested in the "what does this mean?" part of the initial
> message. Does it mean that from the publisher's perspective it's too
> early and the market is too embryonic?

What it means is the books on podcasting already in the channels aren't
meeting sales projections which means taking a risk on a book with a
smaller market doesn't make any sense from the publishers financial
investment perspective.

It doesn't mean there's not a market for it, but it does mean there's
limited interest in the topic in traditional channels. One approach you
could take is to contact the people at a company like No Starch, which
tends to take risks on books with cult followings and more niche topics.
  The advantage to that route is getting access to the traditional
retail channels (through O'Reilly, ironically) and if negotiated
correctly, you could easily retain the electronic distribution rights.

Jake Ludington

http://www.mediablab.com
http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com