Many do.   My system only sends the "A new reply has been posted" message to people who are registered users.  :(

To combat this gap and allow for notifying guest users, I'm going to (hopefully this weekend) start publishing the RSS feed for the comments/replies themselves to any given topic.  That way if a 'guest' comments and wants to be sure to be notified of any replies they can drag that feed into thier news reader.

Yeah it forces the user to get on board with RSS ... but that day is coming with or without any DavidMeade.com initiatives :-P