Markus Sandy wrote:
> you are right; i do have to do all that
>
> but calling it a day does not help as I want these services to work "as
> advertised"
> we are recommending them (e.g., freevlog) and these services need to work
> having to upload two or three times until it sticks is not a good way to
> get people started

I know, it's no long term solution, I'm still trying to stay optimistic
about Ourmedia/AI as much as I can... Seems like recommending Blip.tv
over Ourmedia is a good idea right now.

> yes it can be tough to keep these services running smoothly, but are we
> only supposed to get reliable service when it's "easy"?
>
> don't get me wrong
> i love ourmedia and archive and i use archive all the time

Me too!

> but i think there is a lot of hype and issues that need to be addressed
> and i just don't accept the "it's free" or "it's beta" reason for
> unpredictable service

I know. I certainly don't suggest that not paying for something means
you shouldn't complain about it. Indeed, that's probably one of the
contributions we can make - complaints/reports about what doesn't work,
and why we won't use what doesn't work.

> Also, their statements and promises are inspiring at times, but indeed
> vague:
>
> "We'll try it for six months and see what happens." - marc canter
> regarding OurMedia and Archive relationship, spring 2006
> "Universal Access To All Human Knowledge." - brewster khale, repeatedly

We can add the "They mean well" right next to "You get what you pay for"
in the slogan-roll, eh? I think we all want them to succeed, but how can
we really help, short of driving a truck full of money to someone's
front door.

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/