ROAD NODE NEWS

Speak to people and ask in-depth questions.

Roll tape.

Talk / listen / learn / teach media literacy issues.

Yeah.

We don't need no Jack Kerouac to tell us of the magic of the road.

Marlene, Randy's sister, is amazing. As is his mom and are his many
Lowell friends.

Lowell Telecommunications Corporation's public access channels 8 and 10
originate with an experienced, long-standing community of mediamakers.
Together they make / teach / learn / share. Sat in on a lecture on the
history of video mixing by Walter Wright from
http://www.119gallery.org/videoJAM He had clips as old as 1968. Good
stuff.

Public access television is changing in response to community broadband
issues and is slowed by the heavier baggage of geocentricity, custom,
history, and community diversity and standards.

By comparison, the Internet is far-reaching, and light on its feet.
Appealing.

LTC is stocked with digitally saavy geeks, among them Daniel, who
together with Peter shepherd the Digital Bicycle into existence: a
ditigal means for public access stations to share content. It's almost
ready for four beta-testers to begin using the system. Furthermore,
Lowell Telecommunications is in possession of the requisite gear to
publish digital media any darned way imaginable. PC lab. Mac lab.
Studios live and to tape. Infrastructure. They're on the cutting edge
of it already in Lowell. They don't need no stinking badges; they are
the media in spades.

Bottom line: it behooves the vlogosphere to make contact with every
public access station and bring greetings. We share missions and lots
of methods already. They got major media street cred. Honoring their
nearly 40 years of experience does us all good.

Keep your eyes peeled for news of public access television legislation
tied to broadband issues. You may be called upon to support public
access in the near future.

Today, wheels up noon to travel to Hartford CT. We'll be in a hotel
there two nights. Presumably I can get caught up on some editing /
posting and Randy will referee a championship Taekwando match.

Sunday, we're off to Cambridge, MA to stay the night with Serra & Mike
from http://headsoff.blogspot.com

Trip Tips:
Carry a spare hard drive containing a mirror image of your hard drive +
space to hold all your projects. Editing on the fly means mistakes and
I know I'm gonna wanna go back and change some things later.
Carry headphones - I recommend the Koss Portapro. Not cheap, but
durable and compact.
Carry a power strip / extension cable.

Check Randy and me out at mefeedia & delicious tags: "roadnode101"

See ya on the flip-flop.

Jan

--
"It isn't done alone. Pay more."