On 10/7/05, Justin Chapweske <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there any advantage between ASX and WPL?  I noticed that WPL seems to
> be a SMIL format...

They're really different, not necessarily better or worse.

WPL is parseable XML.  ASX has a bunch of peculiarities which will
defeat XML parsers.

ASX is a control language for WMP, and it has a bunch of features to
do things like change the banner, send callbacks to a server when an
item is rendered, and prevent the user from fast forwarding through

I haven't explored the limits of WPL as a SMIL dialect, so I can't say
how much of the SMIL spec is supported, though my guess is not much.
Because of that ASX is probably a more powerful tool.