Justin Chapweske wrote:

> Normal HTTP links require that you point to a single server, and if that
> server is down, you're toast.  With the multi-link feature that we're
> testing out with the current Swarmcast beta, you can use multiple
> redundant sources for your data, so you get fault tolerance as well as
> faster downloads.

I'm not familiar with Swarmcast, but this is what I imagined doing...

1. On my site, I'd enter all of the urls where my video is stored.

2. I'd then have a url like http://mysite.com/serve?latest-video.mov

3. When the url is requested, I would then check each url where that
video is stored, so I do a head request to ourmedia.org and if all is
well, send a 302 redirect to to the client to get the actual file. If
ourmedia.org sends anything but a 200 response to my script, I move on
and try the next server, perhaps blip.tv, etc...

I'd worry about the overhead of making the request to the remote
servers, but without trying it, it's hard to tell how bad it might (or
might not) be.

As far as Swarmcast, it sounds like it does some sort of proxying and/or
BitTorrent like stuff. The site says "Works with Windows, Mac OS X, and
Linux running Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari." - Um yeah, but
what about FireANT, curl, etc?

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/