I'd like to take a different approach to this. Most folks start with
the technology and not with the potential viewers needs. Nothing wrong
about looking at the tools but let me suggest another way to look at
this challenge.

*What is the bandwith that most of the viewers will be using? If they
are on dial-up for economic reasons then the videos are gonna have to
be <5MB or 160x120, at that size not good for signing. Yes, more and
more folks are moving to affordable cable/broadband but what are the
bulk of your potential viewership using?

This will help you make decisions based on their current needs not
what you feel they ought to have. You know you have to have a higher
frame rate than what we normally do here but you are gonna have
balance that with what folks use to connect to the Internet?

*If you are starting small, then a single source solution (free to
experiement with) would be Blip.tv. In terms of getting folks use to
the processe and finding out what your particular group needs. It is
pretty straight forward.

I do understand you want a community vlog with multiple features but
think of this as step one - getting folks to understand what a vlog is
and how it can be used to communicate and preserve culture/language.

*I think for the young teens/adults it is not going to be that much of
a learning curve and one of the missions here is to teach as many
people as possible how to do this. Young, old, everybody that wants to
learn.

We have started classes around the country and are figuring out how to
do explain this process to all kinds of people. Thanks for the butt
kick to remind me to write down an accessible (for all) lesson plans
outline.

*If you are choosing between mpeg-4 and 3ivx I'd go with mpeg-4, many
people have QuickTime and would be able to access the videos with no
problem.

If there is one thing we love around here is pushing boundries and
inventing new ways to do things. And don't be so hot to chuck the
video part of the signlog - what if there is a different narrative
structure when a deaf person makes a video that doesn't have signing?

I'm taking your questions to bed now, keep in touch.

Gena
http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com
*********************
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Brein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Let me introduce myself here, as I'm new to this group.
> I'm Brein Mcnamara,  a 28 year old new transplant to the wilds of
> minnesota. The most interesting thing about me is the main reason I'm
> sending this message.
>
> I'm Deaf.
>
> The majority of deaf people communicate in a visual medium. That is,
> sign language. Videoblogging seems to be a great medium for
> communicating in sign language. The trick is to find a way to take
> full advantage of the medium, and to encourage more use of it. Deaf
> people are an odd mix when it comes to technology. Many are not
> exactly technically inclined, but at the same time very eager to use
> tools that make it easier for them to communicate. (for example,
many > deaf people use video relay services...like
http://sorensonvrs.com