Firstly here are the important details of the video spec as stated on
Apples store:

* H.264 video up to 768 kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per second; MPEG-4
video up to 2.5mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per second

This will only make the mpeg4/h264 choice dilemma worse. No doubt
higer resolution and bitrate mpeg4 is supported, compared to h264,
because mpeg4 decoding requires less power. 480x480 mpeg files at
2.5mpbs will probably look better than h264 at 320x240 768kbps, but
they will be much larger. We know by now that personally I am biased
and love h264, so I want the 320x240 h264 768kbps type to catch on.

This ties in to your question. When the issue of whether video could
be potentially played on existing ipod hardware came up on this list,
I said a very big NO. This is because from everything I have read, the
processing power of previous iPods was not enough to handle video
decompression.

People like Taylor Barcroft disagreed, and pointed to the linux ipod
video player as proof. It isnt proof, unless it can be shown to handle
compressed video (the first linux ipod video hack only handled
uncompressed frames which take much less power to playback).

Now apart from making the screen larger and device smaller, I dont
know what apple have changed inside. Maybe they upgraded the CPU,
maybe they added a chip to do video decompression.

Mybe I was wrong and some other existing ipods could handle video
playback. If it were so, then it would come down to whether it makes
business sense for apple to give such functionality to older models.
It would make sense in that it would increase their potential to sell
videos, but it would reduce demand for their new ipod, people like me
who only recently got a 60gb non-video ipod might be tempted to wait
and see if another ipod with a much larger widescreen appears next year.

Rejoice at the TV out option. It may be Apples way of hedging their
bets if, like me, they arent convinced 100% that portable video will
catch on with the masses in a huge way, but hooking it up to a TV will.

Steve of Elbows