In reference to the test part. I think it is a test with regards to old media production. I agree that it might (and hopefully will) be irrelevant. This is important because this may be where the difference in new narrative entertainment comes as well. Their excesses will open the doors for more challenging, personal an poignant ‘shows’.

Production of one show I know of costs roughly 1.7 million. That is a pretty good middle number considering that was one episode salary for each actor on friends. This particular show airs on UPN. UPN pays 1.2 million for the rights to air the show first (the day after they air the rights go back to the production company). So they are at a $500,000 deficit for each episode. Traditionally the thought has been to make it to 5 seasons so you can syndicate and ride that gravy train. Recently you have started to see DVD’s making a big impact with TV shows. It started with premium cable shows, but now the DVD’s come out before the next season for many of the popular broadcast shows.

But that is traditional media. So, this is the test.. for them. I’m a believer, though. Remember it was only 10 years ago when major technology analysts said the internet would be the CB radio of the decade. When we started DivX, analysts said, I kid you not, one of our major competitors for video delivery was Enron. That is not a typo, Enron.

So take it with a grain of salt and as a challenge. (would it be to cheesy to throw in a ‘the revolution will not be televised’? ;) )

From: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kunga
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 5:51 PM
To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Rocketboom sorta featured on Steve Jobs announcement...

Tiki Bar TV has SEVEN "Episodes" - missing #3. Rocketboom has about
250. Who said life was fair? Thanks Josh. My Snapz Pro X recording of
the presentation crapped out at that exact moment. But I've got a
still photo if anyone wants it of the menu with "Rocketboom" listed
and Steve pointing his remote at it. I want my Front Row and I want
it NOW - ala carte.

By the way, I am almost ready to puke over how the mass media
interprets what happened yesterday. NBC Today correspondent saying
this "is a 'test' to see if people will buy videos they have to watch
on a two and a half inch screen." And Steve saying there is no market
for video on the go today. So we're going to have to create it." I
mean this is completely INSANE language they are using.

Let's be clear THIS IS NOT A TEST. You do NOT have to watch videos on
the 2.5" screen. There IS A GIGANTIC MARKET for video on the go
today. And Apple is NOT going to have to create it. All Apple is
doing is providing the solution to a long standing problem. The
market has been getting PREGNANT with anticipation for years.
Affordable technology and our new distribution system has just now
fallen into place. so it's really synergy of pent up demand meeting
technological advances - not Apple creating a market or doing a test.

http://futuremediatv.blip.tv/ is where I'm putting the TV segments
for now if you guys want to check them out. You'll have to bring your
own barf bag though.

But I really need your subscriptions please. ; ^ )
I'm just a little concerned about my HTML on the feed site. I don't
want any more accidents over there that don't show up in iTunes. NBC
Today is the most hilarious of the bunch. Should have it up in the
next hour or so.
--
Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Webcaster, Futurecaster