Spent the day pretty excited about the new iPod and (especially) iTunes.
Tonight I was
trying to explain to a friend how groovy it feels to have my vlog listed in
iTunes and even
featured in one of the "video podcasts" sliders on the store.

He didn't get it and couldn't understand why any of this made any sense beyond
a small
curiosity or geeky fetish. After 30 minutes of instant messaging i realized
that he simply
likes TV. He's fine with it the way it is. He was fine with the public
discourse around the
election last year. He doesn't _want_ to join the conversation. in his words,
"I just want to
go to work, make my car payments" (yes it is an SUV) "and watch my Desperate
Housewives."

I had reached an impenetrable wall. Of course I have no response for this. It
was really
weird to realize that this thing I am very passionate about (cultural change
around the way
we communicate and exchange ideas) was completely off my friend's radar.

I've been trying to write something about why I think this is important in my
new blog
(
http://vlognik.blogspot.com/2005/10/ready-for-mantime-soon-we-will-all-be.html
).
Of course this isn't really about why the iPod specifically is cool. That's
just a shiny new
tool that is an exciting point of departure for a bigger idea.

I'm curious if other folks who might be excited like I am meet many blank
stares from
friends and family who don't get what the big deal is.

Dave
http://davemedia.blogspot.com
http://vlognik.blogspot.com