.mp4 .mov and .m4v are supported on the ipod, but unfortunately these
file extensions do not tell the whole story.

.m4v as apple have it setup, is h264. Its actually the same as .mp4
h264, they just used a different file extension to confuse
everyone/make it open in itunes by default. For maximum compatibility
and less confusion I recommend renaming the .m4v's to .mp4 before
publishing, unless someone can say why this is a bad idea.

Ther are other encoers besides quicktime that can do h264, but for
ipod compatibility you have to ensure that it is encoding using the
baseline h264 profile, and not main profile.

The ipod also plays older types of mpeg4. This is easier to do than
h264, and indeed many videoblogs are already ipod compatible due to
this. For example 3ivx mpeg4 stuff in a .mov file or a .mp4 file
should work, so long as the bitrate doesnt exceed something huge like
2500kbits/sec, the resolution is 320x240 or lower, and the audio is
AAC-LC.

There are already several ipod encoding guides, mostly using qt7.0.3,
other apple software, 3ivx and ffmpeg. I dont have links handy, and in
the first week after the announcement some people misread the spec and
made assumptions that werent true.

The guides are obviously easier to understand than my waffle because
they apply to specific tools rather than waffling about all the
options. It might be easier to give personalised advice - in an ideal
world what tool would you like to use to create ipod video? And if you
are interested in the ipod compatible file playing on the widest range
of computers, go for older mpeg4 not h264 (for now).

Cheers

Steve of Elbows