Christopher Ivanyi wrote:
> I think alot of vloggers are absolutely fooling themselves! Every
> vlogger wants/needs an audience - that's the absolute truth.  But
> here's the trick.  When that someone gets their audience, there is
> this ineffable something that creeps into the pyche -- the desire to
> want more.  It just happens.  It's called human nature.  We want more,
> and more.

Wants an audience? Perhaps... Needs an audience? No...

I've dabbled in all sorts of art and creative endeavors since I was a
young lad. Have you ever doodled in a notebook? Did you have some need
to *show* it to others, or were you just happy to do it, and enjoy it
yourself.

> Michael says:
>
> "I believe that there are
> many things in this world that can be done just for the pleasure of
> having done them.  Creating things is like that for me."
>
> That's very beautiful.  That's very altruistic.  Very Tao, Very Zen.
> I admire that truly.
>
> My question to you -- my challenge to you would be, to stop vlogging
> altogether.  If you don't need an audience, and you vlog in order
> achieve the pleasure of having done them, and you don't need the
> validation of an audience -- then just stop making them.  This goes
> for all vloggers out there, especially the more popular vloggers!
> Just stop making vlogs.
>
> Or ask yourself this, what would happen if in the course of vlogging
> your audience stats diminished daily until not one person clicked onto
> one of your movies.  But you faithfully posted movies nonetheless.  At
> a certain point wouldn't you ask yourself, what's the point?
>
> I believe we can have a sanity about our creativity, so don't get me
> wrong.  All I'm saying is that whenever one creates, there is an
> inherent relationship built in, whether if be with your art and your
> personal approval of it, or your art and another person's approval of
> it.  And the important thing is to look at that relationship clearly.

The word 'approval' bothers me here. I am not looking for approval with
what I do, I'm just doing it to see what happens. I'm not trying to
'prove' myself as a creator of video, I'm just doing it because I want
to right now. If in the future I don't want to, I'll stop.

I like the fact that (in theory) my kids will be able to watch the
videos I created in 5, 10, 20 years, and get a piece of who I am/was
from it. Maybe my audience doesn't exist yet. ;)

To me, the 'connection aspect' is a bonus, a nice side-effect of it all.
I could just store all of my photos, video, and writing on servers
somewhere privately (nice backup if my house burns down, my computers
are all stolen, etc) but in sharing these thing, I take the chance that
others can connect with me in some ways, that I can learn from them, and
they can learn from me. I enjoy seeing the stuff my friends create, and
if they enjoy what I create - we both win.

Do I even have to mention that many of these 'friendships' are the
result of sharing bits of ourselves on the web? I don't like to think of
my friends as my 'audience' I like to think of them as my friends.

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/
videoblog for the future...