On 11/3/05, Pete Prodoehl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David Meade wrote:
> > I dunno I have a hard time with the "You're stealing this content"
> > argument if you are in fact providing a feed on your site.  A feed is
> > MEANT to allow people to take and reassemble content.
>
> I think where we hit a gray area, is in the republishing of the content.
> If I publish everything in your RSS feed, but wrap ads around it, are
> you still cool with it?
>
> I mean, should I take each episode of Rocketboom and put it on a page of
> my site surrounded with a dozen banner ads? ;)
>
> Should I take your content (via RSS) remove all the ads that make you
> money, and replace them with ads that make me money and they publish that?

Well in these cases the republishing would be violating the CC license
I have.  So I would have a problem with it. (unless I specifically
released a site to do so).  But just the pure republishing of feed
data within the the license ... no, I wouldn't have a problem with
that.

I didn't really see any adverts on that page.

It just seems to me that if you are actively providing a feed, you are
actively PERMITTING the syndication of content.  You cant then say
"Well I didn't want YOU to click on my feed button ... but others are
ok to do so." and expect to win any legal case.

If a person just takes my feed and follows the the spirit of the CC
license then, no I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I guess my thoughts are "no harm no foul" ... If you made a feed ...
it's going to feed things.  So long as those things don't use it for
commercial purposes and break your cc license ... GREAT - your feed is
doing exactly what you must have expected it to do.

/shrug

- Dave
--
http://www.DavidMeade.com