Well, let's also try not to over-emphasize "this space".
It is not the responsibility of every new start-up to FULLY adhere to the demands and wishes of the blogging community.   There are many, if not more, regular people who  want to share video but have little interest in blogging... or at least the geekery of blogging.

Yes, YOUTube embedded themselves here to promote their service.  Every video service will try to communicate to this groups 2000 members or whatever it is now.  Some will be Right On like blip.tv, others will be Way Off and still others will hover in the middle.

The fact that YOUTube received this funding has more to do with their design and features and the fact that we are in the midst of a huge Internet Video BOOM.... where videoblogging is one part of this boom.... for me, it's the part that truly matters the most, but that does not  lessen the impact of the general ease of distributing/hosting vid clips.

Let's also keep in mind, as Peter touched on, that video can often receive mass attention if it becomes viral and contagious.  Thousands or even millions of people will participate in spreading worthy video clips and try to create video clips that can garner such awesome attention on the Internet.
How long have people been forwarding video clip links via email?   Years!  It's a cultural thing.
People want other people to see and hear stuff that they find ..... interesting or funny or whatever.  Now, this has evolved a bit and in addition to forwarding video links via email, there are web services to help do that in addition to hosting, transcoding etcetera etcetera.

My interest is in videoblogging, obviously.  But this does not make me blind to the bigger picture of what is going on with Digital Video + Internet + Broadband + Cheap Cameras.

sull

On 11/8/05, petertheman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can someone explain YouTube to me?  I don't get what people like
> about this service.  They have crappy transcoding, they brand your
> videos with their logo, they try to lock you into their website, you
> can't syndicate your videos via rss, and they still haven't changed
> their crazy terms of use where you basically give your work away to
> them.
>
> Can someone who uses this service explain what they like about it?
> Do you not care about these points that I bring up?  Why not use
> another free alternative like Ourmedia or Blip?
>
> I don't get it.

It's free hosting. That's pretty much it: *any* free video hosting
service will attract users (coz it's free! It's videos!) Their
businessmodel isn't bloggers, it's "funny viral" videos. I ranted
about this here:
http://poorbuthappy.com/ease/archives/2005/11/06/2905/
The fact that they got funded just points to the fact that most VC's
really don't get this space.

Blip is different, their business model is supoorting bloggers with
video. It'll take longer but they'll be more successful.

Peter

sull