The thing that I really don't understand about thee sites receiving
funding is that the barrier to entry for competition is so slim. It
wouldn't be too difficult for a developer to replicate YouTube or
Revver in a matter of a week or two.

true.
shows you how important getting "in and embedded" early pays off, for some.
anyways, the YOUTube folk have close ties with Yahoo, so I am sure that helped get them in touch with the proper deep pockets.

sull