Joshua Kinberg wrote:
  > On 11/8/05, Pete Prodoehl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Joshua Kinberg wrote:
>>
>>>The thing that I really don't understand about thee sites receiving
>>>funding is that the barrier to entry for competition is so slim. It
>>>wouldn't be too difficult for a developer to replicate YouTube or
>>>Revver in a matter of a week or two.
>>
>>But you couldn't replicate the user base, the "social" part of it in a
>>week or two...  More and more it's about the social network of your
>>app/site, which is both good and bad at the same time...
>>

 > I think its too early for any of these services to claim they've
 > capitalized on the social network.
 >
 > Friendster thought they had that wrapped up and then Myspace ate them
for lunch.

I'm not suggesting that any service has wrapped up the social network
part of it, but once you get the ball rolling, your user base can
quickly grow, and unless new services come along that are compelling
enough to get you to switch, perhaps with more/better features what's to
entice people away? del.icio.us got big and then the competitors came.
They tended to offer neat new features del.icio.us did not have, but to
me, a geek, the important features of del.icio.us were things like the
ability to export my data daily via an API, and the fact that it was
'one guy I trusted' versus some company I'd never heard of.

Some services, like Flickr, seem to get it right all around. Others only
get some parts of it aligned with what I am after.

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/
videoblog for the future...