Speaking of Sorenson Squeeze there's also Discreet Cleaner and Cleaner XL.  Actually I guess it's Autodesk Cleaner now since the acquistion but whatever.  I'm not sure what Cleaner costs - Cleaner XL is a bit more expensive than $99.  But just pointing it out as another industry standard compression and media conversion tool.

And for MPEG there's TMPGEnc which has gotten quite good reviews over on DV-L although it's known for being a bit fussy/verbose as far as the options and settings it offers.  But then again if you're anal about compression then that's a good thing, right?

-m