I think there's little point in holding out against QT7 and H.264.
If people are prompted to install it to watch a vid, most people
WILL install it. And it's out for both Mac and Windows.

The advantages of H.264 in quality and compression are pretty
compelling. I've posted compression settings elsewhere on this list
that achieve about 1.5-2MB/minute in H.264 and the result is a very
watchable video ... superior to anything I could achieve with the
still-admirable 3ivx. Contact me off-list if you want my settings.

So far I've only had one person complain about not being able to
watch because he/she can't install QT7.

Another thing I've been wondering ... is 3ivx _really_ a unique
codec, or is it just a plugin that gives access to MPEG4 settings
that QT and other programs normally don't let you tweak? The reason
I ask is that a viewer doesn't have to install a 3ivx codec to watch
it.

Waz
www.crashtestkitchen.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Ridley
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm not sure about your compression figuers, but QT7 is now
available for
> Windows. Also vlc (http://www.videolan.org) has experimental
support for
> H.264 although I guess that's not really ready for prime time by
definition.

> -m
>
> On 11/9/05, Will <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >  After numerous attempts of trying different compression
settings an
> > codecs - I ended up
> > with a with a 19.8 mb file that was 5 minutes long. This works
out to
> > about 4mb/minute. I
> > was wondering if this is a common size for a file this long? Is
there any
> > stats out there on
> > what kind of compression ratios vodcasters are using?
> >
> > My final version was compressed using 3ivx - dual pass. I had
orginally
> > had the size down to
> > 11 mb using h.264 with the same quality but I discovered that
only QT 7
> > could play this -
> > which ruled out a lot users.
> >
> > BTW - any windows users that couldn't see the inaugural version
of tiny
> > tube because of the
> > QT7 can now view it.
> >
> > Will
> > http://www.tiny-tube.com

t=ms&k=Individual&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&c=3&s=38&.sig=OHeQJ
Kby66gg3t35np-qiw>
> > Fireant<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
t=ms&k=Fireant&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&c=3&s=38&.sig=hK8TfZa7
ClhTIxDJdP6Cbw>
> > Use<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
t=ms&k=Use&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&c=3&s=38&.sig=fljF53rXtnOM
jmpIySYbqA>
> >    [EMAIL PROTECTED]<videoblogging-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>