To answer your original point, its definately vimeo's server mimetype
thats causing the behaviour. On a properly configured server the .mp4
will behave the same way as .mov when you click on it. Im using the
same browser & OS as you and .mp4s that are on other servers work fine.

Vimeo probably didnt notice themselves because their pages use code to
embed the file in quicktime player on the browser, rather than just a
direct link to the .mp4, and that is another workaround for the
problem you experienced.

My preiosu message had an error when I said 'I dont support this' - I
was referring to people using mpeg4 in a mov, I prefer .mp4, but am
willing to concede the reasons arent compelling enough for most yet.

Steve of Elbows

<http://offonatangent.blogspot.com/2005/11/video-umass-video-blogging-