A lot of awards and press releases and stats in general are really
just part of the whole big marketing/adertising/promo game.

It gives the media some 'news' to talk about, and gets the marketing
message plenty of free coverage, but its not real.

It is this kind of stuff that MSM & the status quo and the big players
still have the big advantage in compared to individual content
creators, they dominate most of the methods by which the masses will
learn about what content exists out there. Same sort of thing that
causes some to grumble at what itunes top podcasts etc stats are
doing. I know in the UK a lot of the top podcasts int he stats are DJs
because millions of people already know of them from listening to the
radio.

Its for reasons like this that Im always happy when a non-MSM
videoblogger gets featured by mainstream media (news programs most
often so far) as has been witnessed on various occasions over the last
year. One day if the mainstream are also videoblogging, they could
pretend the independent videobloggers dont really exist :(

I wish there were a few ways for the small independents & individuals
to raise awareness of their existence using mass-media more. Id love a
TV channel that was promo's for all the videoblogs, podcasts, etc that
never get mainstream exposure. I read with interest that a free
channel slot is available on UK terrestrial digital TV, and that the
minimum asking price is £5.5 Million per year (thats about
$9.5Million). Well at that price my dream isnt very realistic, and Im
back to envying countries that have public-access TV, though I guess
they dont always have a 'mass' audience. What kind of audience sizes
do channels like the one Jay does a show on get?

Hmm so anyway I suppose the free publicity is the only reason I would
support videobloggers doing an awards thing of their own, I dont
believe the results mean anything, just gets attention. But I wouldnt
want to leave anyone out, so rather than a top 10 or top 100, Id
rather have a winner every day or something,a nd give absolutely
everyone a turn :D

Steve of Elbows
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, ryanne hodson