Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 6:32 PM
Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Is there someting wrong with blip.tv, or is it just me?

Hey Randy,

The answer, as always, is "it depends."

Generally speaking, the number of people downloading a specific video that's hosted on blip (or other big hosting services) shouldn't affect each individual's download speed.  So the speed for one person should be the same whether one or twenty people are downloading the video at a time.  This is different for different services, though.  Some put limits on how much downloading they let happen at the same time, and different services have different amounts of bandwidth to offer.

The best analogy I've heard to date is that of a straw.  Only so much liquid can fit through a straw.  Internet connections are like a straw -- only so much video can fit through them.

Again, though, big hosting providers generally have enough bandwidth to cover usage.  We have really big straws.  So, the simple answer is no -- two or three people downloading a clip simultaneously shouldn't have a negative effect.

As far as your problem with uploading, I'm sorry it happened!  Any number of things could have influenced that, and without being able to test things at the time it happened (or it happening again) it's really hard for me to guess as to the cause.

Yours,

Mike