--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Randolfe Wicker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just read a news story that they are going to make all these old movies
> available on the
Internet.  This makes me suspect that we vloggers are going to get lost between
Bette
Davis and "Laurel & Hardy".  People, like water, seem to seek the lowest common
level.

If they are going to put old movies on the internet, so what? Unless you
yourself are
putting movies on the internet you're not really "competting" with them anyway.
People
who want to watch vlogs will still want to watch vlogs (even if the
occasionally watch old
movies)

> I know that there are "great" old movies.  However, I have a special
> prejudice against
them.  I'm sixty-seven years old.  When I go to some gathering of men,
especially gay men
my own age, they aren't talking about the new exciting "TransGeneration"
documentary on
Sundance or offerings on the new (unique) gay cable channels like Logo or
"Here! On
Demand".

> No, they are talk about watching some old Bette Davis movie to avoid watching
> Bush's
acceptance speech.

> So, I really hate old movies.  "Old" movies make prisoners of those unable to
> stay young
and keep up with the changing times.  I shudder every time I meet an
intelligent person
over fifty who still doesn't have a computer!  (Shudder! Shudder!)

I don't see why watching old movies make you unable to stay young. I'm 55 years
old and
love old movies, new movies, vlogs, classical music, rock music, computers and
the
internet. They are not mutually exclusive. Certain peoples brains may exclude
any of these
things, but that is their problem, not the media's problem.

As a big fan of cinema I always am surprised at the lack of knowledge that
young people
have of old films. I've heard many comments like "I never watch anything made
before
1970" or something similar. This is just as bad as not watching anything new.
Watch it all!
Soak it up! Learn from everyone!

Jack