> What puts me off is that those client apps do not do justice to the
> variety of media that can be combined in any particular post - they
> concentrate 'too much' on the video. I realise that statement may
> sound paradoxical, but I don't really want a single medium to dominate
> the delivery of my digital stories.

This is a really intersting post Christian. One of the reasons I started videoblogging (about a month ago) was that I was frustrated by the text-centric nature of the blogosphere, and frustrated by the way RSS readers decontexualize the "content" of a blog.

Many in the web community view RSS as a boon for users: Some folks claim that with RSS, users now have complete control of their experience of "content," and can consume and package your content to suit their needs.

My perspective is perhaps less rosy: RSS users can see some of your work, but in a presentation context controlled by the RSS reader. This changes the exprerience--maybe for better, maybe for worse, but certainly changed.

I set out to start a multimedia blog to explore the idea that when you present content in a given context, the content itself is changed when you change the context. And though I was thinking multimedia, the path of least resistance with the current tools led me to a video blog. Nothing wrong with that. But it's not a "multimedia blog."

A multimedia blog would not bias one medium over another, because the readers and agregators and social bookmark managers and tag managers would see into the content in a deep way. They can't do that now, because of the infrastructure that's emerged to date.

For example, take a look at my post called "Annotation." <http://more3.blogspot.com/2005/11/annotation-roll-um-easy.html> In this post, I took an MP3 of a song I like, imported it into a movie, and used the titling capability (of iMovie) to present a textual commentary about the song that runs as the song plays.

It's encoded as video, so of course the search engines have no idea what's going on in the clip. Another file format would allow the underlying MP3 to expose it's metadata--when you search for this song or the band, search engines could find the post. Similarly, another file format could expose the text in the titles sequences that I used (as a hack) to provide commentary.

The point is that if we were really building a storytelling medium, we would conceive of the building blocks in a different manner. But the video blog--as cool as it is--is only secondarily a storytelling medium.

JS
---
http://more3.blogspot.com