ah, you are assuming "cover" implies "licensed and royalties paid"
that is *not* common usage for most people out side of the music industry perhaps
certainly, lots of local bands claim to do "cover" songs, but they haven't cleared it or paid for it
check a dictionary - most don't mention the payment part

Brad Webb wrote:
Actually, no, you just have to pay royalties. Copyright specifically
allows for cover usage and spells out it's royalty structure.

Markus Sandy wrote:

that's still a copyright violation (i.e., "happy birthday to you ...")

Ronen wrote:

If you 'cover' a song, then you can use the cover version -- which
opens up a world of possibilites.  (I'm noticing the rocketboom
version seems a cover)

On 11/21/05, *Ronen* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]