Yeah in theory theres nothing to stop multiple cams being used at the
same time. A powerful machine starts to become necessary depending on
the res, framerate, codec and efficiency of the camera drivers used.

The biggest barrier at the moment is a lack of software that supports
multiple cameras simultaneously. Theres a bunch of CCTV type apps that
support multiple cameras, but only one or 2 VJ apps that I can think
of, and Im all rusty on that, I need to refresh my memory. For live
stuff a lot of VJs who want multiple cams use video cameras with
composite/svideo outputs going to a hardware video mixer, then they
either send the output of the mixer to the computer via one capture
device, or send the computer output to the mixer which goes to the
projector.

At the higher end there are some 'tv studio in a box' type
hardware/software solutions that supprt this stuff but at prices that
mean virtually nobody I know has ever owned one.

Steve of Elbows

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WpTY2A/izNLAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM