around the 23/11/05 Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen mentioned about Re:
[videoblogging] Re: War On Text that:
>Cinema is non-linear before you decide on the edit as well. And when
>hypertext is read it too become linear (you choose one path out of a group
>of possibles). The difference is that there is one central person doing
>the edit in cinema whereas in hypertext the edit is performed individually
>with each reading. The point is that in cinema is that the in-between
>clips is part of the meaning and the same in true in hypertext (with the
>reader creating

good points which i'd forgotten. when you are editing film there is
no intrinsic point at which it *has* be cut (yes rules of continuity
but they are not rules of grammar, all films remain understandable if
they cross the line, break continuity etc), and also cutting doesn't
'break' the shot. A 30 second close up of gun is still a close up of
gun if it is 10 seconds. (this makes them very different to words.)

this is one aspect of film's granularity, which blogs have
appropriated (my remark that hyperrtext is cinema's revenge on word).
you link from a part to another part (shorten shot A and link to a
shortened Shot B) and it creates new meanings. link from blog post
(part of post) to blog post. NOT blog to blog. it is parts to parts.
etc etc. (all this is old hat for hypertext, blogs, etc. the only
novelty if that is seeing that these relations have always been
present in cinema).
--
cheers
Adrian Miles