originally i was gonna weigh in as follows...

On 11/23/05, Josh Wolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
War on Text? This is the most asinine idea that I have ever
encountered.

Really the whole idea is needlessly provocative and altogether spooky...

I agree. Unless this is just a funny joke.

I just wanted to weigh in quick b4 I finish catching up... a/v = more expressive/richer content = fewer barriers/more efficient communication... so for those with access.. great! up with a/v!!

it's just easy to skim and scan text... scrubbing video isnt as effective... i dont think...

not to mention... anyone remember Fahrenheit 451? although we would not be destroying content per se.. .and in fact enriching it... the time and care people put into hand-written/slow-going letters... vs the technofied communications... was a form of reflection... the reading and writing process are meditative... and active... not as passive as letting a/v wash over you...

i mean look at this.. i put no thought in... no love... i know if u dont get me i can just retype it... maybe coherently next time... if this was my one shot at reaching you all for like weeks... i'd put more care in ... maybe... hehe

so i love rich content and all the potential therein... but the scary thing is the potential for passivity... and the potential for less meaningful reflection...

but then.... maybe im proving myself wrong... with text...

anyway.. to this point it sounds like undermining a channel of communication... =bad...

but if war on text means... forging universal, accessible, efficient (virtually automated) infrastructure for distributing the richest content (a/v and text, etc) then HUA! maybe a war on text dependence... we need to declare our independence from text... but um... still trade with it...

and of course if y'all been kidding... sorry im such a reactionary square.

now i've read more and i really like the way this is going.... about semiotics n what not... fascinating

i will say also that test can get folks in trouble hardcore... many a missed joke... flirtation... criticism... or whatever... can arise from just text....

let us never forget that in the beginning there was the word... and word is bond.
--
Thomas G Henry
Phone: 845.22.88.555

Community Media