Yes, it is still tricky. You're right: an aggregator in general is
useful *after* you've found what you want to watch. I'll be adding a
keyword search at some point, but it is easier to sample and find
videoblogs on a desktop. I think FireANT, for instance, blurs the
line a little between pure browser and pure aggregator. And that's
GOOD for users! I would call such aggregators useful for the "fully-
connected, full-bandwidth internet" (although correct me if I'm
wrong! These are just my suspicions!).

With FeederReader, it's a little more difficult balancing what I
call the "semi-connected Web" because when you are interacting with
the Pocket PC, it may not be connected to the internet. And when you
do connect to the internet, it might be at 5kbytes per second (GPRS
speed) or 15 kbytes per second (EDGE speed). EVDO, I think, goes to
40 or 60 kbytes per second (but don't quote me!). Sampling on
broadband, where streaming is possible, is much easier than on GPRS.
The characteristics of the internet connection that make possible
getting podcasts and videocasts onto a Pocket PC (non-interactive,
download slowly in the background) are the exact opposite of those
things that make it easy for streaming.

Even when you are connected via WiFi hotspot, it's a little
difficult to sample because many people don't design their web sites
to be easily accessible on a 240x320 device. And they may add
features such as DHTML or JavaScript or Flash 8, that prevent the
Pocket PC from properly displaying the site and accessing videos (or
audio).

I'm waiting for the tipping point where mobile devices, the semi-
connected Web, and downloading direct wherever you are will be the
norm. I'm evangelizing as fast as I can!

In my view, bandwidth is less like a non-renewable resource (water)
and more like Doritos: use (crunch?) all you want, they'll make
more...eventually.

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Pocket PC *direct* RSS text, audio, video,
podcasts
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sullivan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's still tricky, isnt it?
> I dont know feederReader... but can you find content easily? can
you filter
> it before downloading?  Or do you need to know before hand what
you want to
> subscribe to?  Also, can you grab feed items meta data first before
> downloading any media?  Personally, I am against the abuse of
bandwidth...
> So i dont *always* like the idea of downloading 200 videos from
channels you
> may be subscribed to but then really you only care to watch 20 of
them.  I
> kind of have this 'bandwidth as water' metaphor in my head ;-)
> Sure, if you com eto know a channel well, and are certain to watch
all the
> video...not really a problem.  But many feeds will not fall into
this,
> especially with the growth of meta-feeds and shared playlists etc.
>
> blah blah...
>
> sull
>
> On 11/30/05, ecomputerd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Amazing: I *just* wrote an explanation of aggregators yesterday.
> > here is a the exchange between me and another user on a Pocket PC
> > forum. (FeederReader is an aggregator for a Pocket PC device).
> >

> > "Duckie" said:
> > I mean seriously...why is it a big deal to go to a website and
> > download the podcast?
> >

> > "GSmith" said:
> > I agree that downloading one podcast is not that big a deal. Try
> > checking 30 web pages for new podcasts, downloading the new ones
> > (after remembering which ones you've downloaded already)
> > transferring to your Pocket PC, listening to them, then deleting
> > them. There's a tipping point where using an aggregator makes
sense.
> > Plus you can use FeederReader for text blogs and news as well.
And
> > on the Pocket PC, going to each website, then finding and
> > downloading the new podcasts is even harder. With FeederReader,
> > selecting "Do | Update All Feeds" can automatically check for new
> > podcasts and download them, turning a 40 minute interactive
> > experience into a 10-second icon tap. Anywhere you can connect to
> > the internet (WiFi hotspot, cell phone), FeederReader can check
and
> > download new items.
> >
> > It all depends on how easy you want it to be, and how many you
are
> > going to check. I have 200 feeds and about 50 podcasts that I'm
> > subscribed to directly on my Pocket PC. I can give you the list
and
> > I'd love for you to tell me how long it takes you to check the
web
> > sites, download the new podcasts, and read the new text items on
> > each site.
> >
> > But you're right, for one or two podcasts, it's easier with
> > FeederReader, but it's still possible without it.
> >

> > "Duckie" said:
> > While I will agree, on the basis of your argument, that an
agregator
> > is helpful to those who listen to 30+ Podcasts, it still doesnt
seem
> > like a tool for the normal uiser.
> >
> > I could see news organizations and reporters or fellow bloggers
> > using your app, but Joe Schmoe (who barely knows how to open a
word
> > document without infecting himself, everyone in his email
database,
> > and Nasa) would have to be jobless to have time for 30+
Podcasts. I
> > barely squeeze 5 in per week with my schedule, and mine isn't
even
> > hectic.
> >
> > I mean, good on ya, mate, for creating (what I can only assume
is) a
> > good app for a niche market. Perhaps you're ahead of the game
and I
> > just don't know it yet...
> >
> > Now, if and when your app downloads the latest episodes of 'Lost'
> > for me...then we can talk.
> >

> > "GSmith" said:
> > I appreciate your kind comments. And your sense is right that you
> > have to WANT to listen to podcasts. Perhaps part of the reason
that
> > you only have time for 5 podcasts is that you spend time checking
> > and downloading. As news, information, and entertainment move to
RSS
> > feeds, FeederReader will be available for you to save time by
> > checking all feeds with one tap. You can then spend your time
> > listening.
> >
> > Of course I *do* think I'm ahead of the game somewhat. I spend a
lot
> > of my time teaching people how to use FeederReader and RSS Feeds
on
> > the FeederReader Forums.
> >
> > Once people have a desire to read, watch, or listen to RSS feeds
and
> > podcasts, they are usually happily surprised when I tell them
they
> > can get those feeds directly to their Pocket PC without using a
> > desktop computer at all. Any Wifi Hotspot or cell phone data
> > connection will work. Some people will not find it useful. But
many
> > people will (and have) found FeederReader a convenient and
> > timesaving tool when you don't want to be tied to your desk. Ever
> > download the latest RocketBoom while shopping, then watch it in
line
> > at the store? I have. It's amazingly cool.
> >
> > I'm not saying it's for everyone, and it may not be for you, but
RSS
> > Feeds and in particular, FeederReader, have totally changed the
way
> > I get my information and entertainment.
> >

> > Greg Smith
> > Author, FeederReader - Pocket PC *direct* RSS text, audio, video,
> > podcasts
> > www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >

> --
> sull
> "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth and
revelation
> from which new form is born"
> http://vlogdir.com - The Videoblog Directory
> http://videobloggers.org - Free Videoblog Hosting / Vlogosphere