If you have a community of taggers then you can weight the tags such that things more commonly tagged X are pushed up in the list of items tagged X.

Tags do not have to be a one to one relationship... in this way you can help minimize the effect of users simply trying to game the system. Of course, it requires a relatively active community of taggers to do this because you need more data. Thus, in the early stages of the system, before there is a lot of data, you may see disproportionate effects of single tags on single objects.

-josh

On 12/4/05, Nerissa (TheVideoQueen) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The advantage of informative tagging is that it allows each viewer to
> construct his or her own filters appropriate to his or her own culture
> and views. This avoids the problem of global definitions and allows
> people to potentially reject anything they don't want to see, be it
> porn, advertisments, George Bush, or whatever.

Hi Frank,
If I understood you correctly, this informative taggin is also voluntary on the part of the person who submitted the media.  My point is that you can't trust everyone to submit truthfully. Whether it's category or tags. Too many people are just not computer savvy, or knowledable about what constitutes offensive etc. And then there's the jerks who go out of their way to shock and offend.

Taggin is very helpful and I like this available option on video hosts. But I think it too would fail.  Category, tags, and community flagging (whistle blowing) may the combination solution for hosting providers that don't generate enough income from donations to pay for screening software systems or human screeners.

Nerissa

PS-- did you see your credit on freevideocoding?

Nerissa Oden

http://TheVideoQueen.com/blog.html
http://FreeVideoCoding.com
http://FreeMediaGuide.com
http://FreeVideoEditing.com

Where do Women get answers to their video questions?