I not sure what the deal is. Here's my experience with FCP, iMovie,
QT Pro on many Macs: If you encode with Apple's mpeg4 or 3ivx it will
take roughly 1 - 1.5X the length of your video. If you use H.264 it
will take 6 - 10X the length of your video. The difference is
processor (G4 or G5) and Ram.
Give these tutorials at Freevlog at try:
http://freevlog.org/#compress (select the FCP tutorial)
or
http://tinyurl.com/94rd4
Verdi