On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 23:19:03 +0100, Richard Show <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Gena ... thanks for the interesting post, I do a lot of work in usability
> and human-computer interaction research and am quite familiar with Jakob
> Nielson, so thanks for the opportuntity to allow me to pontificate in a
> boring academic manner :) ...

Holy crap. Dr. Richard Show geeks out and uses word like pontificate that
I have to look up. Oh and Mr. Jakob is Danish (or used to be), so it's
"Nielsen", not "Nielson". :o)

> 3) Most importantly, his criterion (operational definition) for "boring"
> was
> eyes moving throughout the page, but I think there's a pretty big
> distance
> between this operation and this construct ... seems like the better thing
> would have been time-on-task or self-report of "boringness"

I'm a big fan of talking to people myself. But I'm also a hippie who hangs
out in the same building as the literature students. Some people seem to
have a distinct distaste for qualiative studies...

> ... the other intersting thing to me is that the "active - web" and
> "passive
> - TV" thing is going to blur more and more as the two devices television
> and
> computer monitor/keyboard start to merge and the web becomes a part of
> all
> these devices

we have both active and passive video content on the web now. Webcasts of
concerts have been around forever, Danish TV-2 is offering much of their
broadcasting on-demand online and I'm sure American networks are doing the
same. They're already as blurred as can be and that's great. We'll see
both forms flourish online. Some videos will be used actively, some
passives and I doubt they'll overlap much. Hence if you want your video
used actively that will influence what you shoot, how you shoot it, how
you edit and how you present it. Ditto for passive with the exception that
it's much easier to produce. :o)

> a) I must be a college professor, who teaches  stuff like research
> design,
> or how could I possibly write stuff so boring

Anyone who wants to bash Nielsen a bit is not boring in my book. :o)

> b) As Sam Rayburn said "any damn mule can kick down a barn, but it takes
> something to build one" (it's a lot easier to criticize research than do
> it)

I think all you need is some eye tracking software and 15 copies of the
lastest Channel 4 news broadcast and the Human-Dog Christmas Special (for
comparison). Or maybe not.

- Andreas
--
<URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>