I suppose this, civility of online discourse, is something I feel pretty strongly about (to whatever extent I ever feel "strongly" about anything)

I can tolerate dumb people, fat people,  ugly people, geeky people, dirty people, people with different views, kids that climb on rocks; I like to think I am tolerant of most all sorts of things, but I've never been tolerant of rude people - I have a lot of trouble tolerating assholes and, especially, when it's online in an environment when they are not talking to someone face to face - it's too easy

I have this sort of core belief (to whatever extent I have any "core" beliefs) that the way we treat each other is not only important, it's everything. If someone is an asshole to other people, my feeling, is what else matters.

Having said that, ironically, I also certainly agree, it's important to learn to ignore rudness to not retaliate in kind ... I read flames in email and long debates where people get personal and rude, and, the best thing to do is to not respond at all - and I don't - though I will admit a disturbing tendency to want to read the long occasional bloddy flaming personal attach threads ...

One thing I like about this list, actually, now that I think about it, I like this about the vast majority of people I meet, is that people do make an effort to have civil discourse even when they disagree ... I appreciate that - it's just that the assholes tend to draw the attention, and maybe that sort of explains the behavior

... what am I talking about ... I don't know ... obviously I have some deep underlying disturbing issues, and, maybe had too much coffee and maybe I'm taking the day off from work and I'm finally catching up on yahoo emails and feeling driven to comment and ... I can't stop .... maybe I'm the real asshole ... oh my God ... exercise my asshold demons! .... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

... Richard, leaving to get another cup of coffee ...

On 12/6/05, Enric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com , Jay dedman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Looks like our boy raymond caught some interesting video at some
confenrce.
> mena trott from typepad and some audience member discussing how to
> behanve online.reminds me of some of the discussions we have on this
> grouop when we disagree.
>
> http://dltq.org/media/menavsben.mov
> (sorrry i found it in the delicious feed so i dont know the permalink).

Here you are:

http://www.dltq.org/?p=780

   ;)

> jay