Have you found any examples of h264 decoders that dont work with m4v's
renamed to mp4?

Certainly I would agree that m4v files should not be renamed to .mov,
because they arent .movs , mov is a different container format to mp4.

But I had assumed they were totally standard mp4 container files
though, so renaming them to .mp4 would be a totally legitimate thing
to do.

Am I wrong? All of this file extension stuff only relates to the
container format, what type of codec the actual video & audio streams
use does not change the legitimate filename choices. I had assumed
that purchased .m4v content from the apple store was also still using
a mp4 container type, just with additional info in that container
about DRM stuff. Until I see evidence otherwise, I will continue with
this assumption. For example VLC can read the protected .m4v file, it
just cant handle the DRM part, and gives an error. But it still
mamanged to look inside the container, so I assumed the ocntainer was
still standard .mp4 type.

I will investigate what Eric Rice was saying about encoding speed etc
seeming different ith .m4v export compared to h264 output, I expect
them to be identical.

Cheers

Steve of Elbows
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Ludington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > That's because its h.264. You need an h.264 decoder to view it...
hence QT

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/lBLqlB/TM