I want to second all that Jan has said.  When I first stumbled onto the world of vlogging, she was one of the first people to take the trouble to respond to my questions about cameras, computers, etc.

She is someone who has slaved selfishly to help build this community.  And she, so far as I know, has gotten little attention or public appreciation for her efforts.  Her reward has been in the warm good feelings she has earned in helping others and being part of this community.

She talks about riding a horse.  I think of her as modern day Joan of Arc.  Let's just hope they don't burn her at the stake someday in one of these ugly flame wars.

----- Original Message -----
From: Jan
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2005 7:56 AM
Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Re: Wall Street Journal: Videoblogging

For the record, I don't ever want a *job and yes, vlogging *is in most respects my life. I've been working toward creating things that are served by what vlogging offers since I was but a wee lass in saddle shoes.

If you feel on the outside ask yourself this: why do you begrudge folks who make vlogging their life and livlihood and the attention that has brought them?

Churn. Yes. Definitely helps to bring new, talented folks to the top of the pot. Most of the directories have restructured their sites to feature new vloggers. What more do you want?

As MM points out, becoming part of the community, posting regularly, being active in lots of groups and community efforts will bring you up through the ranks. All the popular vloggers have done this and more, and worked tirelessly to create this community. If you are new here you have no idea the time and effort they have invested.

If what you want is to walk through the door and be lifted upon others' shoulders and given a gratuitous round of "For he's a jolly good fellow," forget it. It's not going to happen without work. Lots of work. If you think that "posting" to this or any list community means posting your URL and telling folks to visit your vlog it's not going to work. Share your expertise. Do something. Anything. But make it open source and on some level selfless.

As I'm fond of saying, "Work hard; use the proper tools."

When did it become a sin to promote friends and family? You want me to promote you? Do some small thing for me and then I will. No question. You want me to promote you? Become my friend. That means talk with me, promote me, help me, console and advise me. I will do the same for you.

Videoblogging is not television, nor is it Hollywood. We have yet to discover a vlog-voice in terms of what styles fit best in a 320 x 240 or smaller screen in 3 minutes or less. We have yet to discover a way to have vlog conversations, link-love, and quotations, back-and-forthing as simple as bloggers do that. I think the style will be closeups on faces and things. Good sound design. Good, compact ideas. In short, the short film closer in.

It is still very early in the game, folks.

Cooperation and community rule.

Gettin' off my low pony now.

XOXOX,
Jan