Hi Vincent,

Pal is the accepted format for most of the world, but it's not entirely future proof. The best thing to do is to get a HD camera, Sony and Panasonic do HD cameras, they are expensive, now but well worth it when it comes down to editing in the future. Pal has a frames per second rate of 25 where as ntsc has 29.7, which in real terms means you get slightly better video reproduction on ntsc, but with editing software today, you can actually monkey about with the frames per second and film in ntsc but then convert into pal later and vice versa. For playing back on TV, or transfer onto DVD or video, that is where the pal thing is needed, whilst most modern TV's and DVD recorders are both pal and ntsc compatible, Some older TV's aren't. This means play back will be in Black and White if you have an ntsc camera played back on a pal only TV. In africa, I know that they use pal, so if you are doing a pre-view of the days filming on a TV set, you may encounter problems. But do not take it as read that if a TV has a SCART socket on the back, it is NTSC and PAL compatible, assume it isn't.

Hope this sheds some light for you on this subject. I used to be a TV engineer, so all of this is my Pet subject.

Paul Knight