Someone pointed to Om Malik's report on Google Video, where a reader
left this comment:

>In my ideal world, all forms of digital video would be Quicktime and
encoded in H264, because nothing out there, at this time, comes even
close to even hoping to touch H264's image quality at the lowest
bitrates, it kicks insane butt, it blows me away.

That's been my experience as well. The image quality of everything I
encode in 'movie to ipod' (m4v) is MUCH better than what I get in any
other codec,  the file size is the same or smaller, and I haven't seen
any problems with distorted aspect ratio.

I'm launching a videoblog next week and at this point expect to encode
in both m4v and mpeg4.

Can anyone point me to any stats on what % of PC/Mac users can play
H264/m4v video on their computers (I assume they need to have
QuickTime 7)? I'll guess: a small % of all users, but a fair number of
video aficionados.

What % can play MPEG4? (presumably a very high percentage - apple says
QT6 has been downloaded 350 million times)

thanks!

jd lasica

ps -- apple's FAQ about h264 is here:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/h264/faq.html