--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:17:13 +0100, Mike Meiser
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On 12/24/05, Enric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't think Tivo is Television.  Classical television cannot not be
> >> automaticaly stored, retrieved, scanned and viewed out of order (this
> >> can be manually performmed with programming recorders -- but just
> >> about anything can be put into a manual process.)  So I think this is
> >> an intermediate medium to Blogging.  I'd call it a Tivo medium with
> >> the iPod containing similar capacity.  It lacks the full two way
> >> interaction of Blogs, but contains the automatic storage,
scanning and
> >> retrieval capability.
>
> In this case you can look at three kinds of interactivity.
>
>   - Transmission. Viewer selects from preprogrammed flow of content.
The
> way tv works. Not really much interactivity, but hey.
>   - Consultation. Viewer selects from a pool of content. Video
on-demand,
> Tivo, iPod. Web reading works by consultation also, but it's different
>  from video on-demand (see below).
>   - Conversation. Viewer can add content to the pool of content
(affecting
> the viewing situation for others). Integrated on blogs. Not present in
> video on-demand.
>
> That's a simplified view on interactivity. In reality I subscribe to a
> variation where there is a fourth type (registration) and they're
ordered
> in a cube with a total of 12 different types. But this is enough for
my
> point here. No, I didn't think up the cube model, but I wish I did.
>
> Blogs and video on-demand are both forms of consultative
interactivity.
> There is a pool of content and the reader picks which ones to watch
and in
> which order to read them. But they are different nevertheless. In
video
> on-demand situations the individual pieces are not seen as being
part of a
> whole. They are individual blocks - you pick something to watch, you
watch
> it and then you pick something else to watch (or you create a playlist
> ahead of time). The typical situation is an iPod or a DVD (menu:
movie &
> extra material).
>
> On the blog the pieces are a part of a network. The pieces don't
live on
> their own, but largely in their connections with other pieces. You can
> read a piece and go further into the network by following
connections from
> [...]
> It is a very different reading situation, and the meaning created if
very
> different from that of the video on-demand system.
>
> Add the fact that conversational interactivity is integrated into the
> blogs and the whole thing blows up in your face. Now you are a
participant
> on equal terms with anyone else. You can recontexualise any other
piece by
> creating your own piece and making a connection between the two.
>
> And then Michael describes his own setup:
>
> > Actually...  I've found that playing back video blogs on the TV
can be
> > quite
> > the two way experience. Now, I'm using my iPod, BUT I suppose a Tivo
> > might
> > work just as well. What makes it work is having a parrellel queue... a
> > landing page where by you can follow along as you wish. Also a
remote for
> > your ipod or tivo comes in handy, of course for skipping, pausing,
> > restarting or rewinding. Here's an example workflow we set up with
> > mefeedia... First mefeedia automatically creates for you a web based
> > browseable queue as it has from the start... but now it also
provides for
> > you a single personal RSS feed that directly parrallels that
queue. The
> > RSS
> > feed hence goes to your Fireant, iTunes/ipod  or perhaps in the
future
> > tivo
> > or Akimbo as they start to better support vlogs... Basically you can
> > instantly pull up your watch page on your laptop and jump to any
post
> > your
> > watching on TV.
> [SNIP a bunch - you know how it is, Michael :o)]
>
> What you're describing here is not a video podcasting system (not
how I
> describe video podcasting above). It behaves more like a blog-system
than
> a video on-demand system. Like setting up a second monitor on your
> computer.
> You are one-step removed from the blog in much the same way that you
are
> one-step removed from a blog entry when you read blogs through a feed
> reader. The big difference being that you loose anything *not* in the
> video file itself such as additional text with links and explanations.
> That's a big drawback in my book, but if that's how you watch,
that's how
> you watch. It's sort of a mix between the blog and the video on-demand
> system where you get the disconnect from the on-demand system while
> retaining the potential of the blog's activity (the potential, it's
not
> actually there while you watch).
>
> What I don't get is why you just don't watch the video in a seperate

The factor of compelling is larger and different on a large monitor or
screen at a distance.  This allows an immersion and presence for the
media piece not presently available on computer screens.  What is
missing is a synchronization between such devices.

  -- Enric
  -======-
  http://www.cirne.com
  Determine Media